The Australian and New Zealand Council for the Care of Animals in Research and Teaching (ANZCCART)
ANZCCART is an independent body which was established to provide a focus for consideration of the scientific, ethical and social issues associated with the use of animals in research and teaching. Within New Zealand this also includes animal use in toxicity or potency testing. Animal use is often the subject of lively debate. ANZCCART seeks to promote effective communication and co-operation between all parties and to assist in the resolution of potential conflicts by promoting awareness of concerns and solutions to problems.
ANZCCART’s corporate mission is to promote:
- excellence in the care of animals supplied for or used in research, testing (within New Zealand), and teaching;
- responsible scientific use of animals;
- the Three Rs: Replacement, Reduction and Refinement as they apply to the use of animals for scientific purposes;
- informed discussion and debate within the community regarding these matters;
- strategic partnerships to contribute to the education and training of scientists, students and the broader community.
ANZCCART operates on a purely advisory basis and provides guidance and information to all interested parties including Animal Ethics Committees (AEC), scientists, teachers, regulatory authorities, granting agencies, government, animal welfare organisations, the media and the general public.
Background to ANZCCART (NZ)
ANZCCART is governed by separate Boards in New Zealand and Australia. ANZCCART (NZ) is a committee of the Royal Society of New Zealand. Its principal sponsors are Universities New Zealand and AgResearch Ltd but it also receives annual contributions and/ or other support from organisations including the Ministry for Primary Industries and the Royal New Zealand SPCA. ANZCCART (NZ) promotes and supports the commitment to the principles embodied in the New Zealand legislation regulating the use of animals in research, testing and teaching in New Zealand (Animal Welfare Act 1999, Part 6).
Resource links about ANZCCART and animal welfare in New Zealand
The following resources about ANZCCART and animal welfare in New Zealand are available:
- Animal Research Saves Lives (ANZCCART resource) (PDF, 1.8 MB, 14 pages)
- Animal welfare in NZ (Ministry of Primary Industries)
- ANZCCART Annual Report 2013 (PDF, 1.5 MB, 46 pages)
- ANZCCART Newsletters
- Culture of Care (A NAEAC guide for people working with animals in research, testing and teaching) (PDF, 393 kb, 6 pages)
- RNZSPCA website
- The National Animal Ethics Advisory Committee (NAEAC) website
- The National Animal Welfare Advisory Committee (NAWAC) website
- What is ANZCCART (ANZCCART resource) (PDF, 428 kb, 1 page)