Researchers, technicians or tertiary teachers are often directly responsible for animal welfare. The following information has been designed by ANZCCART to assist these groups when they are conducting research, testing and/or undertaking teaching involving animals.
Animal ethics and legislation in New Zealand
Please click to follow link for information on ethics and legislation in New Zealand.
Understanding Animal Ethics Committees
Please click to follow link for information on Animal Ethics Committees and the criteria for assessing applications.
Resource bank and recommendations on best practice about animal welfare and alternatives to using animals
Assistance with statistics in designing studies with animals
Appropriate research study design is an important part of reducing the numbers of animals used in research and testing. We strongly recommend the free interactive course on designing animal experiments provided by Michael Festing.
Information updates on animal welfare, legislation and alternatives to using animals
Our regular newsletter “ANZCCART News” contains updates on animal welfare, legislation and alternatives to using animals. If you are doing work that has animal ethics approval you should receive this newsletter (via email). If you have not been receiving a copy of “ANZCCART News” please contact us. Archived editions are available here.
ANZCCART Conferences on animal welfare in the context of research, testing and teaching
ANZCCART holds an annual conference which discusses animal welfare in the context of research, testing and teaching. The conference location varies and usually is held two successive years in Australia followed by one year in New Zealand. For more details please see our conference page.
ANZCCART Contacts for questions on the use of animals in research, testing or teaching
If you have any questions or concerns please feel free to contact ANZCCART. Our details are listed on the contacts page.
Resource links for researchers on the use of animals in research, testing or teaching
The following resources are available for researchers on the use of animals in research, testing or teaching:
- Alt web (resource database hosted by Johns Hopkins University)
- Animal Welfare Act 1999 (Parliamentary Council Office website)
- ANZCCART Conferences on animal welfare in the context of research, testing and teaching
- ANZCCART Newsletters
- Culture of Care (A NAEAC guide for people working with animals in research, testing and teaching) (PDF, 393 kb, 6 pages)
- Download Three Rs poster (ANZCCART resource) (PDF, 6.7 MB, 1 page)
- Ethical guidelines for tertiary students (ANZCCART resource) (PDF, 108 kb, 1 page)
- Guide to the Animal Welfare Act (Ministry of Primary Industries website)
- Resource bank and recommendations on best practices
- RNZSPCA website
- The National Animal Ethics Advisory Committee (NAEAC) website
- The National Animal Welfare Committee (NAWAC) website